Munyon Island is located in the northern portion of the Lake Worth Lagoon. The Island is part of John D. MacArthur Beach State Park.
Munyon Island was originally a 15-acre island used to store dredged material in the 1930's and 1960's construction and maintenance of the Intracoastal Waterway. The material was deposited on and around the Island's wetlands, tripling the size of the Island to 45 acres.
- Restored 43 acres of habitat in the Lake Worth Lagoon.
- Graded the Island to wetland elevations and constructed tidal channels and ponds.
- Removed 40 acres of exotic plant species like Australian pine and Brazilian pepper.
- Planted 120,000 wetland plants, restoring 20 acres of mangroves and spartina (commonly known as cordgrass).
- Restored 23 acres of maritime “coastal” hammock on the Island.
- Dredged spoil material generated through project construction was removed from the Island and placed in a nearby dredge hole to provide 9 acres of benthic and seagrass habitat.
- Island amenities include a boardwalk, picnic tables/shelters
- Munyon Island restoration was completed in 1997.
- Future plans to enhance public use of the Island include a boat dock.
- Improved maritime “coastal” hammock for wildlife, especially migratory songbirds and raptors.
- Improved wetland nursery habitat, food source and shelter for fish and invertebrates.
Palm Beach County, Florida Inland Navigation District, West Palm Beach Fishing Club, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, and the State of Florida.
For More Information