Wind-blown sand from the beach is trapped and stabilized by salt-tolerant native dune vegetation. A healthy dune becomes a sand source for the beach during storm events. ERM has restored 10 miles of dunes (36.5 acres) over the past 10 years.
ERM restores dunes by:
- Removing exotic vegetation
- Filling and regrading the slope
- Installing sprinkler or drip systems
- Constructing dune walkovers
- Revegetating with native dune plants
- Monitoring and maintaining the dune
Coral Cove Park in Tequesta. Fill was trucked in from a sand mine.
Six months after sea oats and other native vegetation were planted.
After 18 months, sea oats are well established and re-seeding the dune.