Steven L. Abrams
Mary Lou Berger
"An equal opportunity
The original neoclassical columns from the 1916 and 1927 Court House will finally be put back where they belong. Twelve of the salvaged columns are currently being installed on the Court House (four on each side except the east) framing entryways.
In 1969 the columns were removed to make way for the 1970s wraparound that entombed the original structure for more than 35 years. When they were removed, they were sold to a local cemetery. Six were used for the entrance to Hillcrest Memorial Cemetery in West Palm Beach (where they remain), and the additional columns were stored at a second cemetery located off of Hypoluxo and Seacrest Boulevards in Boynton Beach where they have been laying in grass for several years.
In addition, some of the yellow bricks are being installed on the east side of the Courthouse. New bricks have been manufactured to replicate the original ones. A large shipment has recently arrived on the site from Ohio. Once the bricks are in place, they will be stained to match the original color.
Watch the renovation as it happens on the Web cam.